What Does a Police Officer Do?
Police officers perform a variety of duties that enforce the law and uphold public safety. They patrol neighborhoods, investigate suspicious activity, and respond to emergency calls. Police officers also make their presence known, minimize public unrest, and provide general local security.
Police Officer Job Overview
In the police officer role, you are expected to respond promptly to emergency calls, and to pursue and arrest suspects as necessary. A key element in this role is maintaining physical fitness, and remaining calm and level-headed in stressful and dangerous situations. Success in this role is demonstrated by appropriate arrest counts, minimal crime rates, and public adherence to the law.
Police Officer Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Patrols designated and high-risk areas
- Enforces local laws
- Responds to calls and emergencies
- Pursues and apprehends suspects
- Investigates suspicious activities
- Files detailed police reports
- Prevents possible crime incidents
Police Officer Job Requirements
- Police officer training
- High school diploma; Undergraduate degree or more preferred
- Knowledge of how to implement laws and regulations
- Strong communication and coordination skills
- Good time-management skills
- Quick thinker and detail-oriented
- Calm and composed in stressful and dangerous environments
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.