What Does a Legal Assistant Do?
Legal assistants provide valuable support to lawyers, senior legal officers, or lead counsel. They help gather evidence, conduct investigative research on cases, governing laws, and relevant legal articles, and prepare litigation documents. They also organize and maintain files and assist attorneys during legal proceedings.
Legal Assistant Job Overview
In the legal assistant role, you will draft correspondence and formal statements. You will also prepare reports and presentations. You must be well-versed in various types of legal proceedings and stay updated on changes in local, state, and federal laws. Success in this role will be demonstrated by gathering and arranging needed legal documents to ensure partners and attorneys are prepared for all eventualities.
Legal Assistant Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Collects and documents facts
- Performs data entry and retrieves relevant information
- Liaises between in-house professionals and outside parties
- Maintains compliance with applicable standards
- Tracks schedule of meetings and events
- Coordinates with witnesses, lawyers, and paralegals
Legal Assistant Job Requirements
- Minimum 1 year of external or in-house legal experience
- Proficient in MS Office
- Working knowledge of legal terms and procedures
- Strong organizational skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree or certificate in Paralegal Studies or equivalent
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.