What Does a Purchasing Agent Do?
A purchasing agent identifies optimal selections of goods and services for purchase through the screening of suppliers and analysis of products and prices. A purchasing agent also engages in practical negotiation techniques, such as the solicitation of vendor bids and awarding of purchasing contracts.
Purchasing Agent Job Overview
As a purchasing agent, you will be expected to buy high-quality goods and services to maximize company profits through cost-effective transactions. You will need to be in tune with commerce and have a strong attention to detail when assessing various markets and suppliers. Communication and negotiation skills will be essential to maintaining consistent business relationships in this role.
Purchasing Agent Job Responsibilities
- Finds high-value purchasing opportunities
- Analyzes suppliers and offers
- Develops and implements effective negotiation strategies
- Maintains key supplier relationships to maintain consistent product quality and compliance with contract terms
- Stays up-to-date on markets and trends by regularly attending events, exhibitions, and industry fairs
Purchasing Agent Job Requirements
- Proven background as an effective purchasing agent
- Demonstrated negotiation skills regarding terms, price and conditions
- Deep understanding of markets, purchasing methods, and data analysis
- Strong skills in interpersonal communication
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Business, or related field; Master’s degree is a plus
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.