What Does a School Counselor Do?
School counselors, also known as guidance counselors, are professionals hired by academic institutions to advise students about their best educational options. They seek to bring out their students’ true potential, and may also train faculty in topics relevant to student growth such as bullying or discipline.
School Counselor Job Overview
In the school counselor role, you are expected to identify and help address challenges faced by students, which may include learning disabilities, financial difficulties, and behavioral problems. A key element of this role is showing empathy, making informed decisions, and motivating students. Success in this role is demonstrated by improvements in academic performance, social engagement, and overall student life outlook.
School Counselor Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Conducts counseling sessions with students
- Identifies possible student behavioral problems
- Performs student evaluations and analyzes results
- Coordinates with parents, teachers, and students
- Facilitates student orientation programs
- Designs training workshops for faculty
School Counselor Job Requirements
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in counseling or related fields
- Strong critical and analytical thinking abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented and effective time-management skills
- Exceptional leadership skills and sound judgment
- Bachelor’s degree in Counseling or related field
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.