What Does a Substitute Teacher Do?
Substitute teachers provide backup support for teachers who are absent from work. They implement lesson plans and learning objectives set by teachers and provide the monitoring of students, classroom management, and facilitation of classroom activities. They may grade tests, file reports, and assign and check homework.
Substitute Teacher Job Overview
In the substitute teacher role, you will assume responsibility for a class and perform all the tasks of the absent teacher, such as keeping students in order, conducting quizzes, and giving homework. You are expected to have a flexible schedule to accommodate sudden teacher absences. Success in this role will be demonstrated by providing excellent instructional and classroom management service throughout the absence of the full-time teacher.
Substitute Teacher Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Reviews and implements lesson plans
- Mentors and engages students
- Gives clear instructions and helps students understand the lesson
- Maintains discipline and control of the classroom
- Fosters a safe and nurturing learning atmosphere
- Records and grades quizzes, homework, projects, and exams
- Observes and follows school policies
Substitute Teacher Job Requirements
- Relevant classroom experience preferred
- Valid teaching certificate or substitute permit
- Passion for teaching and strong leadership capabilities
- Outstanding communication skills and excellent classroom management skills
- Must pass criminal background search and drug screening
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or any related field
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.