What Does a Medical Records Clerk Do?
Medical records clerks manage the medical records of a healthcare facility. They sort and organize patient files by name or by number for easy retrieval and updating. They create digital copies of health records for quick access and to secure patient information against system failures.
Medical Records Clerk Job Overview
In the medical records clerk role, you will prepare medical forms and assign new record numbers. You will file the patient’s medical observations, diagnoses, prescriptions, and medical history in one accessible location. You will be expected to observe strict patient confidentiality. Success in this role will be demonstrated by completing all necessary patient paperwork accurately and promptly.
Medical Records Clerk Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Performs high volume scanning of patient records
- Prints and faxes patient reports to referring doctors as needed
- Files new medical records
- Pulls charts, records, and other medical information when needed
- Processes expired patient records
- Attends training sessions as required
- Processes patient record requests
Medical Records Clerk Job Requirements
- Minimum 1 year of healthcare and medical records preferred
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge of HIPAA requirements
- Detail-oriented and able to maintain data accuracy
- Proficient in MS Office
- High school diploma or equivalent
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.