What Does a Mortician Do?
Morticians or undertakers prepare a deceased’s remains for funerals. They may cremate or preserve the body, making it presentable with makeup, clothing, and hair styling techniques. They assist with urn or casket selection and transport the body to and from the funeral home.
Mortician Job Overview
In the mortician role, you will assist the funeral director in planning necessary arrangements for the funeral service. A key element of this role is to be empathic and understanding when dealing with clients. You must also be ready with knowledge of working backup plans in case of emergencies. Success in this role will be demonstrated by providing good customer service and ensuring that clients are satisfied.
Mortician Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Meets with clients
- Offers grief counselor referrals
- Arranges transportation and drives the hearse
- Embalms, dresses, and caskets the deceased
- Cleans the necessary equipment
- Discusses the funeral arrangements and services
Mortician Job Requirements
- Prior working experience as a mortician
- Valid embalmer’s license
- Valid driver’s license
- Associate degree in Mortuary Science or related field
- Physically fit
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of different cultures
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.