What Does an Account Manager Do?
Account Managers (or Senior Account Managers or Account Administrators or Key Account Managers or Sales Account Managers or Strategic Account Managers) play a key role in establishing, managing and maintaining customer accounts. Account Managers focus on building relationships, understanding customer needs, presenting applicable solutions, negotiating agreements and making sure that solutions are delivered to customers. They have strong customer relationship skills and sales backgrounds, typically with an analytics and problem solving mindset.
Account Manager Job Overview
In the Account Manager role, you will be responsible for establishing mutually-beneficial relationships, understanding prospect and client needs, analyzing their environment and identifying applicable company solutions and services As an account manager, you will be the primary point of contact for customers, ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction. Success in this role will be demonstrated by meeting target revenue goals and customer satisfaction objectives through effectively communicating, presenting and influencing key stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
Account Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Identify opportunities and form relationships with key stakeholders and influencers within target accounts
- Effectively communicate value and benefits of company solutions to prospective buyers in assigned accounts
- Present company solutions, negotiate and close agreements, and ensure solution delivery and ongoing support
- Manage accounts on an ongoing basis to resolve issues and identify upsell and cross-sell revenue opportunities
- Anticipate customer needs, and present and deliver appropriate company solutions
- Meet regularly with team leaders and management to review account plans
- Regularly review sales results and account statuses to uncover areas for improvement
- Communicate and present ideas and new processes to improve account management practices
- Develop targeted account penetration plans
- Ensure high customer satisfaction and retention
- Track key account metrics and provider regular customer status reports to management
- Develop and build relationships across organization with colleagues to ensure capability to deliver appropriate services and resolve account issues
- Assist internal teams with customer success stories and references, account data and sales process updates
- Help train and mentor new account management team members
- Maintain knowledge of company solutions and services, competitive differentiation and current offers and pricing
- Build expertise in effectively using the latest customer relationship management (CRM) technology and tools
Account Manager Job Requirements
- 2-4 years in an account management, sales or related role
- Significant customer relationship, sales and/or account management experience
- Ability to establish customer relationships at a department, executive and C-suite level
- Demonstrated success in meeting quota-based revenue goals
- Strong understanding of solution selling and CRM best practices
- Experience with CRM technology and tools (e.g. Salesforce.com), Microsoft Office and other account management software
- Strong quantitative and analytical ability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding listening, presentation, influencing and negotiation skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong collaborative style and problem solving skills
- Excellent planning, organizational and project management skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business or sales. MBA a plus.
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.