What Does an Accounts Payable Clerk Do?
Accounts Payable Clerks (or Staff Accounts Payable Clerks or Account Payables Specialists) play a key role in processing a company’s financial transactions and supporting financial reporting needs. The focus of the role is on ensuring bills are paid properly. Key tasks include daily bookkeeping, recording, tracking and reconciling company business accounts.
Accounts Payable Clerk Job Overview
In the Accounts Payable Clerk role, you will be responsible for ensuring all company invoices are properly recorded, tracked, approved and paid. You will work closely with company financial professionals and management, and outside vendors. Success in this role will be demonstrated through accurate payment and financial transaction processing.
Accounts Payable Clerk Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Track company invoice obligations, make accurate and timely invoice payments, gain approval where necessary, and identify and report inaccuracies and variances
- Reconcile and verify all company invoices and monthly statements, assign payments to applicable cost centers
- Develop and maintain account payable processes and monitor costs for company business operations
- Make and track appropriate sales and use tax payments on invoices as needed
- Analyze company spend and identify areas for improvement and cost savings
- Work with external vendors to resolve any invoice problems or inaccuracies
- Monitor vendor agreements, identify opportunities for discounts
- Ensure all accounts payable processes meet applicable compliance guidelines and corporate standards
- Collaborate with other accounting and finance team members
- Assist with corporate audit and other financial reporting requirements as needed
Accounts Payable Clerk Job Requirements
- 2+ years of accounts payable experience in a corporate environment
- Knowledge of payables, budgeting and accounting best practices
- Experience with financial transaction reporting
- Expertise in Microsoft Office suite and accounts payable software
- Understanding of tax obligations and reporting requirements for payables
- Strong quantitative and analytical ability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.