What Does a Barista Do?
Baristas (or Lead Baristas or Coffee Bar Attendants or Coffee House Specialists) prepare and serve coffee, tea and other beverage and food products to customers in retail establishments. Successful baristas are very personal, enjoy working with and serving people, and have a passion for the food & beverage industry.
Barista Job Overview
In the Barista role, you will greet customers cheerfully, courteously and professionally, take orders, prepare specialty food & beverage items and fulfill orders. Your main goal is providing an exemplary customer experience to all store patrons. You must be able to work fast and efficiently, yet maintain composure under pressure and always be cheerful and friendly. Delivering an extraordinary level of customer service that results in strong repeat business is a must. Success in this role will be demonstrated by delivering a high level of customer satisfaction and working effectively in a high performing, team environment.
Barista Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide a welcoming, engaging and friendly environment to all customers; engage with new and regular customers
- Prepare and serve hot and cold beverages such as speciality coffee and teas, and other food products (e.g., sandwiches, muffins, baked goods, etc.)
- Accurately take customer orders including all preferences
- Provide menu assistance to customers to get them what they want while serving them efficiently to maintain appropriate customer flow
- Make product recommendations, highlight various brewing methods and upsell other menu items
- Receive and take payments (cash, card, mobile)
- Provide and package menu items for either on premise consumption or take-out
- Monitor proper operation of brewing and other food equipment; resolve and/or report any equipment problems promptly for resolution
- Help track food and supply inventory (e.g, in display cases, behind counter, etc.) and assist with restocking as necessary
- Help maintain and keep all serving, food & beverage preparation and common areas sanitary and clean
- Follow all health and safety guidelines and procedures
- Provide customer feedback and response to new menu items to store management
- Learn and stay current on all menu items, ingredients, brewing and preparation methods and specialty/new items
Barista Job Requirements
- Minimum 1-2 years prior barista or related retail food & beverage customer-facing experience
- Positive, customer-friendly attitude with strong interpersonal communication skills
- Obsessed with product quality and delivering outstanding customer service
- Self-motivated and trustworthy, able to work with minimal supervision
- Strong client-facing, interpersonal communication skills
- Team player; always open to helping colleagues
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to meet regular, consistent and punctual attendance schedules
- Flexibility to work different shifts as needed
- High school diploma
- Familiarity with coffee brewing and tea preparation equipment preferred
- Prior barista or related training a plus
- Positive prior work experience references
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.