What Does a Buyer Do?
Buyers, also known as purchasing agents, facilitate the procurement of supplies and goods critical in the sustainability of business operations. They conduct research and comparative analyses of different products and alternatives to identify the best possible deals. Buyers are experts at building rapport and negotiating.
Buyer Job Overview
In the buyer role, you will be responsible for awarding purchasing contracts under agreed terms and conditions based on product quality and budget requirements. You will be working with production and merchandising personnel to determine and ensure alignment with the overall needs of the team. Success in this role will be demonstrated by developing and implementing procurement strategies to minimize costs and drive profit margins.
Buyer Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Evaluates procurement data and monitors key purchasing metrics
- Schedules purchase orders strategically to ensure continuity of supplies
- Resolves discrepancies and issues in invoices and purchase orders
- Conducts periodic supplier visits to assess their service
- Nourishes lasting relationships with key vendors and partners
- Champions process improvement initiatives
Buyer Job Requirements
- Minimum 2 years of purchasing experience
- Proficient in datasheets and blueprints
- Experience in financial planning and cost-benefit analysis
- Proficient in MS Office, SQL, Access, and other similar applications
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent decision-making and negotiating skills
- Detail-oriented and solid organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, or related field
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.