What Does a Cashier Do?
Cashiers (or Retail Sales Associates or Store Clerks or Customer Service Associates) are typically responsible for operating cash registers and engaging with customers as they make purchases. They may also need to check prices, handle coupons and other alternative payment forms, bag and package customer purchases and respond to basic customer service requests with a positive attitude.
Cashier Job Overview
In the Cashier role, you will help all store customers in making purchases. With your friendly, helpful attitude, you’ll always provided a pleasant ‘concluding’ experience to customers. You will operate cash registers and point-of-sale (POS) equipment like credit/debit card terminals, and scan purchases with correct prices and quantities, ensuring efficient and accurate purchases. Success in this role will be demonstrated by consistent smooth checkout processes, a demonstrated positive attitude and a high level of customer satisfaction.
Cashier Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure swift, accurate and friendly purchase experience for store customers
- Operate retail store product checkout equipment (e.g., cash registers, credit/debit card terminals, scanners)
- Collect payments and help with bagging purchases
- Maintain accurate count of cash receipts
- Balance cash register and provide appropriate transaction reports
- Assist customers with product recommendations, directions to product store locations
- Keep checkout areas and workspace clean to ensure efficient processing
Cashier Job Requirements
- Prior experience as a retail store cashier or retail associate
- Experience using modern register operations and POS equipment like credit card / debit card terminals, product scanners
- Understand handling product coupons, gift cards and other payment forms
- Very positive and friendly attitude; helpful approach in all customer experiences
- Strong language and communication skills
- Basic math skills
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Self-motivated and trustworthy
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.