What Does a Commis Chef Do?
Commis chefs are novice chefs who work to support a chef de partie in a commercial kitchen. They perform cooking, cleaning, delivery, and other support duties as instructed by the chef de partie. Commis chefs help ensure that a kitchen’s operations run smoothly.
Commis Chef Job Overview
In the commis chef role, you will assist the chef de partie with tasks related to meal preparation, maintenance, logistics, and safety and sanitation. Success in this role will be determined by your ability to support the kitchen’s efficiency and safety without compromising the quality of the meals produced.
Commis Chef Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Monitors kitchen equipment and reports issues to superiors
- Continually develops culinary knowledge to produce high-quality meals
- Measures, mixes, and prepares meal ingredients, sauces, and seasonings
- Washes, chops, and cuts fruit, meat, and vegetable items
- Assesses inventory and requests resupply when necessary
- Plates meal items under the chef de partie’s supervision
- Disposes of spoiled items and adheres to sanitation policies
Commis Chef Job Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent; higher certification in culinary arts preferred
- 1-2 years of work experience in a similar role
- Good understanding of food, health, and safety regulations
- Excellent communication skills
- Computer literate
- Able to lift heavy items
- Able to work holidays and weekends
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.