What Does a Grocery Clerk Do?
Grocery clerks (or supermarket clerks) assist customers with shopping needs. They maintain product knowledge and memorize the location of items within the supermarket to answer inquiries. They also ensure all products are sufficiently stocked and displayed according to expiration dates.
Grocery Clerk Job Overview
In the grocery clerk role, you are expected to assist customers courteously, which may include helping carry groceries to their vehicles. At times you will serve as a cashier or bagger, so it’s helpful to memorize item codes. Success in this role will be determined by providing a pleasant experience for customers and increasing customer retention.
Grocery Clerk Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Initiates assistance to customers and escorts them to the proper aisles
- Cleans the supermarket
- Replenishes product inventory
- Organizes product displays
- Processes payments
- Bags groceries and helps customers carry them to their vehicle when needed
- Seeks feedback on how to improve customer service
Grocery Clerk Job Requirements
- Prior working experience as a grocery clerk
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Willing to work on weekends
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Organized and pays strong attention to detail
- Must be physically fit
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.