What Does a Line Cook Do?
Line cooks are the primary workforce in a kitchen, and they support sous chefs and the head chef. Line cooks prepare, chop, mix, and cook food for entrees, sauces, and side-dishes. Line cooks may also manage the kitchen’s inventory and waste disposal.
Line Cook Job Overview
In the line cook role, you will carry out the operational directives of the sous chefs and head chef. You must use appropriate tools and ingredients to prepare meals while maintaining cleanliness in your workstation. Success in this role will be demonstrated by the use of available ingredients and kitchen equipment to prepare high-quality dishes.
Line Cook Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepares menu items as ordered by customers
- Assists sous chefs and head chef in the kitchen
- Monitors inventory
- Disposes spoiled food and other waste material
- Maintains cleanliness and ensures that the kitchen is compliant with health and safety regulations
- Reports any issues with kitchen equipment to management
Line Cook Job Requirements
- Diploma or certification from a culinary school
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working in a similar role
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-stress environment
- Deep knowledge of various cooking methods, equipment, and ingredients
- Ability to maintain a clean and organized work station
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.