What Does a Security Officer Do?
Security officers keep personnel and properties safe. They patrol office premises, including land, building, equipment, and vehicles. They may also screen guests and employees, and monitor surveillance equipment. They are the first line of defense against trespassers, thieves, vandals, and other unwelcome individuals and groups.
Security Officer Job Overview
In the security officer role, you will inspect all entry points and maintain peace and order in all areas. You will also escort guests and assist them with concerns as needed. You are expected to be alert and to respond immediately to emergencies. Success in this role will be determined by enforcing security protocols to ensure safety and by keeping things under control when a commotion occurs.
Security Officer Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Performs active security assessments and conducts periodic patrol
- Documents and reports risks and hazards
- Employs crisis intervention methods to de-escalate disturbance
- Monitors and maintains the functionality of CCTV cameras and other surveillance equipment
- Keeps communication lines open such as radios and intercoms
- Conducts periodic inspection of hallways, exits, and other entry points
- Observes strict adherence to safety and emergency protocols
- Reports and restrains intruders or any suspicious individuals
Security Officer Job Requirements
- Minimum 1 year of security or access control experience
- Proven positive and unblemished track record
- First aid, CPR, and AED certifications
- Drug test required
- Firearms control card required
- Basic computer skills
- Strong communication skills
- Physically fit; able to lift heavy materials and stand for long hours
- High school diploma or equivalent; Associate degree in Criminal Justice preferred
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.