What Does a Server Do?
Servers (or Waitstaff, Waiters or Waitresses) are typically responsible for serving restaurant customers in a pleasant and positive manner. Servers take meal orders, answer questions and recommend options, provide orders to the kitchen staff, direct customers to tables and help with meal serving and cleanup.
Server Job Overview
In the Server role, you will be the primary person interacting with all customers and ensuring a positive dining experience. You will be responsible for helping seat customer parties, welcoming them to the restaurant, answering menu questions and offering recommendations, taking orders, helping deliver meals and ensuring a quick checkout process. Success in this role will be demonstrated by a high level of customer satisfaction, efficient meal ordering and maintaining a target per meal revenue amount.
Server Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Promptly welcome all diners upon seating and ensure a positive experience throughout their visit
- Take all guest orders and communicate them to kitchen using provided technology/systems
- Maintain knowledge of all menu options, current availability and ingredients, answer menu questions and provide helpful recommendations / alternatives
- Upsell additional menu items such as drinks, appetizers and desserts
- Provider regular updates to diners on meal timing and ensure customer satisfaction throughout the dining experience
- Help prepare meals and settings, and deliver food and beverages as needed
- Handle any diner complaints or problems quickly and efficiently, escalating promptly to restaurant management as necessary
- Provide accurate meal checks with proper itemization of items and appropriate taxes, discounts, etc. and process payments
- Maintain high level of service in a fast-paced, demanding atmosphere with all customers
Server Job Requirements
- Prior experience as a restaurant server or waiter/waitress, providing exemplary customer service
- Excellent dining service and hospitality skills
- Experience using meal ordering and point-of-sale technology
- Ability to work well under time pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Very positive and friendly attitude; helpful approach in all customer experiences
- Strong language and communication skills
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Dedication to meeting assigned shift schedules
- Self-motivated and trustworthy
- Positive recommendations from prior work experience
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.