What Does a Sous Chef Do?
Sous chefs—second in command to the head chef—work with the kitchen staff to prepare meals for customers. They anticipate their customers’ needs and add seasonal items to their menus. They also train new staff and ensure they are well-equipped to serve customers.
Sous Chef Job Overview
In the sous chef role, you will instruct the kitchen staff on tasks they are responsible for each day. A key element of this role is to experiment with dishes and update them to continually ensure a unique, quality meal. Success in this role will be demonstrated by serving specialty dishes that appeal to customers, entice them to return, and generate word-of-mouth.
Sous Chef Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Develops new dishes for the menu
- Prepares meals ordered by customers
- Monitors inventory and orders ingredients
- Trains new employees
- Evaluates employee performance
- Ensures that kitchen complies with health and safety regulations
- Leads the team in the absence of the executive chef
Sous Chef Job Requirements
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in a similar role
- Deep knowledge of various cooking methods, equipment, and ingredients
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-stress environment
- Experience with restaurant software programs
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Hygienic and maintains a clean and orderly work station
- Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Science or any related field
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.