What Does a Bookkeeper Do?
Bookkeepers (Account Payables Specialists or Entry Level Accountants) play an important role in processing a company’s financial transactions and supporting financial reporting needs. The focus of the role is on managing a business’ day-to-day financial and accounting needs like bookkeeping, recording, tracking and reconciling company business accounts.
Bookkeeper Job Overview
In the Bookkeeper role, you will be responsible for managing company financial tasks such as managing receivables and ensuring all company invoices are properly recorded, tracked, approved and paid. You will work closely with company financial professionals and management, and outside vendors. Success in this role will be demonstrated through accurate payment and financial transaction processing.
Bookkeeper Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Track company bank accounts, deposits and balances; report regularly to management
- Track company invoice obligations, make accurate and timely invoice payments, gain approval where necessary, and identify and report inaccuracies and variances
- Prepare company monthly financial statements like cash flow, income/P&L and balance sheets
- Reconcile and verify all company invoices and monthly statements, assign payments to applicable cost centers
- Help prepare company tax returns including payroll and other appropriate business taxes
- Monitor company office expenses and track related invoices and payments
- Make and track appropriate sales and use tax payments on invoices as needed
- Work with external vendors to resolve any invoice problems or inaccuracies
- Collaborate with other accounting and finance team members
- Assist with corporate audit and other financial reporting requirements as needed
Bookkeeper Job Requirements
- 2+ years of accounts payable & receivable, general ledger and payroll experience in a corporate environment
- Knowledge of payables, budgeting and accounting best practices
- Experience with financial transaction reporting
- Experience in supporting payroll processing and making payroll taxes
- Expertise in Microsoft Office suite and accounting software (e.g., QuickBooks)
- Understanding of tax obligations and reporting requirements for payables
- Knowledge of GAAP
- Strong quantitative and analytical ability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.