What Does a Data Analyst Do?
Data Analysts (or Quantitative Analysts) play a key role in helping colleagues make data-driven business decisions through careful analysis of operating results along with underlying trends and issues. Data Analysts are typically responsible for identifying, collecting and analyzing data for a variety of business projects and initiatives. They have strong quantitative backgrounds with an analytics mindset but can apply these skills in a business environment by delivering actionable insights and recommendations.
Data Analyst Job Overview
In the Data Analyst role, you will be responsible for ensuring proper collection of proprietary and applicable market data, performing quantitative analysis of such data to develop actionable insights and helping drive key business decisions. You will also help analyze existing or proposed business processes, identifying relevant data that can be used to optimize them. Success in this role will be demonstrated by collaborating effectively with colleagues and providing useful analytical input across functions that result in improved business results.
Data Analyst Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Create data-based models to monitor and track customer trends and the overall market
- Perform statistical analyses on corporate data in conjunction with market data to identify market opportunities and areas of improvement
- Perform detail project requirement analysis, gathering applicable data and documenting project processes
- Meet regularly with team leaders and management to outline data needs and review current processes that can benefit from deeper data-driven analysis
- Identify data-driven cost-savings and revenue generating opportunities
- Regularly review sales data to uncover operating inefficiencies and hidden areas for improvement
- Review existing processes of collecting data (e.g. sales, customer, logistics, etc.); optimize its collection, ensure its quality and accuracy, and identify gaps for improved data analysis capabilities
- Troubleshoot data collection issues while maintaining data quality
- Regularly communicate and present ideas, new processes and analytic-based findings
- Develop and build relationships across organization to improve knowledge transfer and intra-organizational communication
- Effectively translate results from analyzing business data into understandable information that drives actionable business decisions
- Provide data analysis training and expertise to business users, IT staff, operations and others as required; serve as internal data analysis subject matter expert
- Maintain knowledge of relevant technology and industry trends impacting company strategy and business initiatives; provide technology recommendations to maintain company data capabilities
- Build expertise in effectively using the latest data analysis technology and tools
Data Analyst Job Requirements
- 3-5 years of business analysis or related quantitative-based business experience
- Significant data mining and data warehouse experience
- Demonstrated experience managing large scale datasets and databases in a business environment
- Ability to create compelling data-based reports and presentations to influence business decisions
- Strong understanding of how to support business operations with data; brings a bias for action in all projects
- Expert analytical skills using spreadsheets, SQL, modeling technology and database tools
- Strong quantitative and analytical ability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong collaborative skills
- Excellent planning organizational and project management skills
- Bachelor’s degree in math, computer science, technology or related field. Masters/MBA a plus.
Are you looking to start your hiring process today? Comeet can help. Check out our pricing plans to learn more about how we can redefine the way you recruit new talent.