What Does a Project Manager Do?
Project Managers (or Project Supervisors or Program Managers) typically oversee a company’s various projects, track their progress and schedule, and make sure they meet internal or external deadlines. They serve as a liaison between project teams and management and/or customers. A project manager does not need to be able to perform each task or be an expert in every facet of the project but requires sufficient knowledge to engage with all project participants, understand critical issues and potential roadblocks, and monitor tasks appropriately. Project managers are typically dedicated to specific sectors, serving as IT project managers, healthcare project managers, engineering project managers or building construction project managers.
Project Manager Job Overview
In the Project Manager role, you will be responsible for managing critical company initiatives and projects, working closely with team members across the organization. Key focus will be on managing and tracking project requirements, task details, schedules, deadlines and costs. Key components of the role will be in ensuring projects remain on track, properly tracking and reporting progress, delivering status reports and communicating effectively to all team members. Regular and comprehensive project communication to management is a crucial element of this role.
Success in this role will be demonstrated by regular and continual communication, project schedules being met and obstacles being addressed and overcome. Ideal candidates will be self-motivated, have demonstrated proven project management success across multi-functional teams and various team sizes, and experience with modern project management software tools.
Project Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Perform detailed project definition, tracking and monitoring so company cross-functional initiatives stay within scope and budget
- Monitor all project requirements, deadlines, schedules, dependencies and costs
- Use applicable project management technologies to track, monitor and communicate all project elements to relevant audiences
- Produce and deliver regular project communication to all project participants, stakeholders and executive management
- Meet regularly with project team members to stay on top of all project items; update everyone on status, identify any potential blocking issues and collaboratively develop creative solutions to overcome them
- Create timely project status reports by investigating, analyzing and summarizing project elements and any relevant factors impacting schedules (e.g., scope creep, budget overruns, changed requirements)
- Ensure all required project documentation is created, reviewed, accepted and produced per company processes
- Maintain communication with internal and/or external customer project owners and keep them regularly apprised of project status
- Ensure customer acceptance and customer satisfaction with all project deliverables
- Identify new technologies to improve company project management processes
- Conduct post-project analysis and review all project deliverables and processes; identify areas for improvement and update project processes accordingly
Project Manager Job Requirements
- 3+ years of proven project management experience
- Experience leading cross-functional teams to successful project completion
- Experience with industry-based project management best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in presenting project status and deliverables to team members, management and customers
- Experience using project management software applications and technologies
- Experience with project budgeting and cost tracking
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated client-facing skills
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Team player; strong bias towards collaboration
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field; advanced business degree a plus
- Project management certification / education preferred
Comeet can help you get candidates, fast. Looking to start your hiring process today? Leave your details here and we’ll get back to your promptly: